Development issues with Black Box website
For the most part the development of this website for the EdCom module in my third year has gone reasonably well. The layouts that I have created work the way I had intend. The graphics I have used are clear and the images I created are clear enough for the purpose.
I took the photographs myself using a Kodak Z100 digital camera. The saved images were then edited using Adobe Photoshop. I did this to remove the backgrounds and to make the images appear to float within the webpages. Some of the images were cropped so that I could identify certain features of the motherboard used for this project. The images which have a hover mouse over feature (where you hold the pointer over an image and text is displayed) were developed using Adobe Fireworks. Image maps were drawn and tagged. Then a script was used that placed a bright yellow pop-up with black bold text on the screen when the mouse is held over a component. I felt that this made a useful clear interaction and feedback of the user navigating the features of the motherboard. This method was then repeated on other components within the website, so that as the user moves through the site discovering the various components in a desktop PC case they could better identify what they were viewing.
I decided to use plain text and clear backgrounds to begin the development of this site, purely to get the prototype up and running. The site has been developed using Cascading Style Sheets. This allows for simple changes to be made site wide or on a specific PHP page. By deploying the HTML within PHP I have been able to maintain a theme across the site without large amounts of recoding.
By the submission date of 9th January 2012 I will have added a link to ATBar. ATBar is a tool that developers can use to improve the accessibility of a website. I have had a look at the tool and used it to test within Internet Explorer, but I have yet to try to use the Kit that is available which allows a developer to embed the tool within a website. I hope to test this functionality later this week, and if successful implement it within the project. When testing in Internet Explorer it allowed me to change the size of the text displayed and also magnify the entire page to make reading easier.